Dr. Fantastic, M.D.

The thoughts, ramblings, philosophies, writings, ideas, presumptions, concoctions, conjurations, conjugations and congregations of one Joel Petrie.

Monologue Week! Monologue #4

I'm kinda sitting here deciding what I should explore or dive into now- what things are relevant to write about at this moment... and the thought just popped into my head.

Halloween. I'll write a monologue that is horror influenced.

Okay- The play centers around a clearing in a forest outlying a growing town- where teens from 3 generations have found a refuge from the world. Problem is: the clearing puts images and thoughts into the heads of those who fall for its enticing safety.

Vanessa lives in the early 50's. Propriety, social status and gender placement have forced her to find the clearing.

She has brought a friend today-

THE CLEARING
by: Joel Petrie

VANESSA: You want to kiss me. Don't deny it, I saw it in your mind's eye. Stop! Don't look at me like I'm crazy- you're lucky I invited you at all- I'm sorry. I'm not used to quiet boys, shy boys. All I know is boys who take control of the situation- take control me. Tell me what to wear, what to say, how to walk and talk, where to sit, how to eat, what to drink- they try to tell me who I AM! You don't want to kiss me anymore. That's alright. You will again. Because I'm going to let you. I'm in control now.

Followers